22 Jun Working with Clients who are Parents
I can’t lie, I love working with small business owners who have kids. Don’t get me wrong, all of you who don’t have kids – I do love working with you too, but I extra love working with ones who have children. Why do I love working with “Parent Clients”? Let me summarize:
5 reasons I love working with Parent Clients
- Big picture thinking – when kids are a major part of your daily life, we tend to step away more often to think of the big picture and have more balanced priorities. It’s easy to get tunnel vision when we do marketing for a brand or product. Having to devote a part of our minds to the wellbeing of another human person reminds us that in the end, if a coupon code gets posted tomorrow instead of today, hey, at least nobody is accidentally drinking bleach from under the sink.
- Realistic expectations – parent clients, especially those who have young kids, are great at having realistic expectations of deadlines and response times. Because usually, they need the same amount of grace with their getting back to things. I love when other parent clients start an email with “I’m so sorry I’ve been MIA for a week…” Sometimes it goes on to say, “because my son had the most terrible stomach bug which spread to the rest of the family…” To which I always respond, “Absolutely no problems, I understand completely. Because I do!
- Time Management – That being said, parent clients also seem to be very good with their time. They’re used to multi-tasking and doing a lot in a little bit of time. All that changing a diaper while dangling a toy above the baby’s head, while singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, while making sure we don’t get hit by surprise by, well you know what… has made it easy for parent clients to get a lot done in a little bit of time.
- Flexibility – Parent clients can be found answering emails at all hours of the day, because, well, our schedules are a bit wonky. Some of my parent clients do a double job of being a working-from-home parent. This means they might be not around during school pick-up / drop-off / dinnertime / bedtime. But they’ll be up until midnight answering emails. That might sound horrible if you’re talking about normal clients who expect you to also be answering emails at midnight, but at this point you can refer back to #2. These parent clients know that even if they send you an email at midnight, they don’t expect you to send one back! In fact, if you do, they might tell you to go to sleep, because like most parent clients, they have an extremely nurturing side.
- Passion – this point is by far my favorite about my parent clients. They are extremely passionate about their business. Because they chose to divert part of their time, energy & effort away from their families into it, and that is very precious indeed. They don’t love their family any less, but it means that what they are working on is very important to them.
It’s not easy to juggle family life and running a small business. As a work-from-home mom of two young children, I completely understand. But that’s why I’m here – because I love being a mom, and I also love helping small businesses figure how to make digital marketing work for them.
If you’re a mom or dad starting a small business and need help with a website, email, social media, search engine optimization, graphic design, or other digital marketing solution, please contact me. I’m looking forward to hearing from you!